Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hearts

Some of my favorite things to add to my work are hearts. Especially anatomical hearts. I find that they present a sentimentality and "humanness" to my work.

About a year or so ago, I started creating anatomical hearts to be displayed in shadow boxes. I paint them to look like rusty pieces of machinery with sheets of metal and rivets, smokestacks and pipes. I'm a literal painter, I paint what my mind sees, and let's face it, hearts are machines, right? They're pumps, keeping the blood flowing to our organs, our skin, throughout our bodies. What's a good way to represent them than a hard working, industrial machine?!


I was able to find a great high resolution of a chest x-ray that I created as the background, and I tweak the colors to fit with the colors in each heart. Since each are hand made, I like to customize the background to the image.


I also have a great vintage anatomical chest illustration from an old corset ad that I've used before.


Valentines Day 2011 I was faced with a situation. I wanted to get my partner something for Valentines Day, although we don't "officially" celebrate it. I wanted to try something new, so I decided to look for a book that had a romance theme and hollow it out so that I could put some art in it. 
And this is what came out of it:


Luckily, I was able to find a book called "Sweetheart". I've found a new obsession.... repurposing books for my work. Especially if I can find one that thematically matches what I'm trying to do.

On to creating!


No comments:

Post a Comment